Last week’s post "Domain Registration and Web Host Sign Up" talked about choosing your domain name and registering with a reliable web host. On successful registration, you would be sent your login credentials via email. These details would be used to log into your web hosting account through the control panel. Details on how to log in to your web account would be sent to your via email.
Generally you browse to www.yourdomain.com/cpanel, where ‘yourdomain.com’ is the domain you registered in week 2. Browsing to this URL would bring up a pop up box where you should enter your username and password then log into your account. Depending on the web host, your should have access to a wide range of free software packages with auto installers.
There are various free software packages available online that can be used to set up your blog. The major ones are include in the web hosting providers. The blogging software packages include:
It is important that you choose the right web hosting package. In this series WordPress would be used as the blogging software. After logged in to your web hosting account, you would be directed to your control panel. To install the wordpress.
- Scroll down to the ‘Software / Services’ tab on the control panel. Below is a diagram of a typical control panel hosted by Host Monster
In the software/ services tab click on ‘Fantastico De Luxe’. It would take you to the software installation page where you would find all the software bundled in your web hosting package. The software programs available are grouped into categories with each category having a list of programs. The categories include programs to setup:
- Content Management Systems
- Discussion Boards (Forums)
- E-Commerce shopping carts
- Image Galleries
- Mailing List
- Site Builders
- Hosting Billing etc
- Under the Blogs category as shown in the figure below click WordPress
- Next Click ‘New Install’ to start the auto installation script. On this page you’ll set the configuration data for you blog which includes your username and password for logging into your blog. Information about the details required are provided.
- Click ‘Install WordPress’ and your blog should install in a few seconds.
- Follow the link on the confirmation page to navigate to your wordpress login page.
- That’s it! You have successfully installed your blog and ready to start posting articles.
Watch out for next weeks article on how to customise your blog and details of web resources, blog widgets and plugins you would find useful.